Healthy Donut Recipe: Cinnamon Sugar Protein Donut
Meal Prep Tip: Pair 1 donut + a Greek Yogurt of Choice for a beautiful, protein-rich breakfast on-the-go.
Make mornings sweet with this baked cinnamon sugar protein donut recipe. My husband says this is his #1 baked donut recipe I’ve made to date. It’s light, it’s flavorful, and does the trick when it comes to cravings.
Baking spray with flour, such as Baker’s Joy
• 2 cups Texas Pure Milling 7 Grain and Seed baking flour
• 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 Scoops Quest, Multi-purpose protein powder
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 1/4 cups Mootopia, Vanilla
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the topping:
• (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (Don’t worry- you won’t use it all)
• 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar combined total
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter, applesauce, and vanilla.
Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined.
In a large Ziploc bag, pipe doughnut mixture into pan.
Bake for 17 minutes, until a toothpick, comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then tap the doughnuts out onto a sheet pan.
Topping: Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a bowl. Combine the sugars and cinnamon in a small bowl. Dip each doughnut first in the butter and then in the cinnamon sugar, on one side.
Nutrition Information: Serving Size 1 Donut
Calories 65, Carbohydrate 6g, Protein 4g, Fat 2g, Sodium 427mg, 3g Sugar